How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have maintained full custody of my 17 year-old son

Customer Question

If I have maintained full custody of my 17 year-old son since the divorce at age 3, and raised that he "don't like the rules" and signed an Election of Intent to move in with his father under his own free will and his father would have FULL LEGAL AND PHYSICAL CARE, can he in turn order Child support from me without me having any rights?
State of MS
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Mississippi. I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Until the child is an adult, he cannot choose who he wants to live with. Instead, that's up to the court and who the judge believes is the best person to have custody of the child.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, the child's custody can't be changed unless there is a material change in circumstances that would warrant a modification of the current custody arrangement.