Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was awarded temporary orders support/maintenance on

I was awarded temporary orders...
I was awarded temporary orders for child support/maintenance on October 7th, to be paid through the CO Family Support Registry due to a permanent protection order. More than a month later, the FSR account has not been established due to the unit still
awaiting necessary paperwork from the court. I found on http://www.colorado-family-law.com/child-spousal-support/colorado-family-support-registry.htm, that "Until the FSR account is properly established, the Obligor (the one whom is ordered to pay the support)
must continue to send the payments directly to the Obligee (the one whom is owed the support)." However, I can't find this in the CRS. Is this an official procedure that my husband must abide by? Is it in the statutes? Because right now he has not paid support
with the reason that the FRS account is not set up, the protection order prevents him from paying me directly, and he's just "saving" the money for now. He would now be in arrears by two payments.
11/12/2015
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. My name is***** am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your husband is incorrect. He can mail the payment to you. He can also have it delivered via courier service or through an intermediary without violating the protection order.

He does not need to see or speak to you to provide the payment to you.

Thank you for your answer. Is there any where in the CRS that states this? Also, for some reason, the option to rate you is not available?

You are very welcome. There is not a statute that addresses this situation specifically.

Basically, the obligation to pay child support exists and is not trumped by the permanent protection order because one thing does not affect the other.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney