How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a foreign court order son child support. I know how

Customer Question

I have a foreign court order for my son child support. I know how to go about to get it enforced. I have to have it translated from french to English but I wanted to know can I claim the translation fees? Secondary question he owes me lawyer fees since
2012 which he has never paid. In Switzerland I would have the right to claim 5% a year. Can I ask for late fees in California?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

You will have to have your foreign order filed in the California courts. Once the foreign judgment is filed with the California courts you will be entitled to enforce the terms of the order / judgment. US has commity with foreign countries and the enforcement of their orders. You should be able to have the same rights to enforce the Swiss order in California as you do in Switzerland. Hence I would claim all fees and expenses that you would be entitled to claim in Switzerland.

I Hope this information and suggestions are helpful and I wish you the best of luck enforcing your order.