Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have joint custody of my 17 yr old son. He has lived

Customer Question
primarily with his dad because...
I have joint custody of my 17 yr old son. He has lived primarily with his dad because I travel for a living.
I just found out my ex has rented out 2 rooms in his house to 2 men. He did not do a brackround check , and is very slow in providing me anything other than names and birthdate. I did a preliminary ck on one, it came up with 2DWI's , 2 marijuana possessions as well as a handgun issues. But without DL ,not sure it's the right man !
Do I have any recourse ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/11/2015
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am sorry to hear that you have run into this problem with ex's behavior in choosing tenants. And I hate to have to give you bad news, but unfortunately you don't have any legal authority to object to who he chooses to rent to, regardless of their background.

.

However, you do have the power to ask the court to prevent your son from being around criminals who will exert negative influences on your minor son. So if you can get their actual identities and confirm that they do have extensive criminal histories, that would give you grounds to file a motion to modify the custody order to have him live with you so as to not be around these negative influences.

.

The judge has a duty to make decisions that are "in the best interests of the child" and it definitely wouldn't be in son's best interest to be surrounded by this type of criminal element.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer