How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10047
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My final decree has been granted whereby I can move forward

Customer Question

My final decree has been granted whereby I can move forward in contacting my husbands
union attorneys for QDRO distribution.
Do I need an attorney?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is best to hire a family law attorney that specializes or has extensive experience in QDROs. This is because the QDRO must conform to the legal requirements, And to the requirements of the plan administrator. If it is not done correctly, it will be rejected by either the administrator or the court, and that will create unnecessary delays.

To give you an idea of how complicated QDROs are, here is a 29 page instructional brochure from the state of Alaska (QDROs are similar in all states, because they are based largely on federal law):

An attorney can be located here:

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

This explains the basics of a QDRO:

and (discussing complexities)

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.