How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking lawyer that will work pro bono on a matter

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking for a lawyer that will work pro bono on a matter regarding my 16 year old daughter that resides in Norway. She is a dual citizen of Norway and the US.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Does your daughter require representation in the U.S. or in Norway?

And what kind of case is this?

(Most attorneys do not offer "pro bono" (free) legal services for the majority of cases - it simply costs too much money to manage a case, even if they were to donate 100% of their own personal time to a cause it would still cost their firm a fair amount of money, so the type of case does matter, certain cases with children do get attorney interest for pro bono or public service type interest).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a government appointed lawyer that is representing her over there. There will be an appeal in February. In June she was on trial for murder after having spent the past 3 years in an institution in Norway with no diagnosis or medication. She is the first child in Norway to have been given life in prison. I can't understand how a country as progressive as Norway claims to be has treated her with such negligence.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

You will want a Norway attorney in that case.

It is possible to find one here in the states (the most efficient way to do that is to start by looking into international (very large) law firms that also have offices in Norway). You may be able to get one of those offices to take an interest in the case (the trade off for them getting one of their junior partners or senior associates in the Norway branch would be that they may get some positive PR - I do not want to be unkind, but I want to give you an idea of what you are working with when you are contacting these firms as a way to discuss this). The people to talk to are going to be the managing partners - you can talk to one in your local office (so in AZ or nearby (TX or CA), and/or in Norway itself).

Alternatively, you can try contacting attorneys in Norway directly. If your daughter already has a court appointed counsel, it may be difficult to get another private attorney to pick up the case pro bono (I assume that money is a significant issue here - if you can get money (borrow from friends, family, etc.) that will make it significantly easier, and work with the U.S. Embassy in Norway for some assistance in navigating the Norway legal community).