How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34941
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im emotionally unstable in my household. My stepfather is a

Customer Question

Im emotionally unstable in my household. My stepfather is a jerk who takes no one elses words into consideration and our family is being torn apart. I had been planning to run away but if possible I want to not get in trouble with the law. Im 16 turning 17 in February and I dont know what to do. Help me please to find out how I can get emancipated at 16 and at latest 17. I can keep a job but I can't keep my head in a house of yelling and more.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Under Colorado law, a child becomes "emancipated" if he or she is at least 16 years old, is married or in the military, OR is living independently of her parents and is self-supporting. There is no formal procedure available in Colorado to get a court order establishing that a child is emancipated. Rather, emancipation is a status that a person finds him or herself in.

So if you can support yourself with your income from employment? You can feel free to "move out" and continue to live independently.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.