How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are there free downloaded forms to make response to citation

Customer Question

Are there free downloaded forms to make response to citation by my exgirlfriend suing to change my name as father of child named on birth certificate. Paternity test of child proves I am not the father. I am not refusing to remove my name as father of child. I refused to sign due to draft by her lawyer writing up document that stated ". . ., the father of . . ." & included my "terminating parental right . . ". I am adopted & requested that wording be removed from paper drawn up by her lawyer. Her lawyer stated that was the only way document could be written up. When I refused to sign, she said I would be served & sued. I want to put this behind me but not on that document wording. How do I respond without spending money on lawyer. I am 23 year old college student working part time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What you are seeking is a "response." There is no form for a response - most are drafted from scratch. What I am going to do is to provide you with an EXAMPLE of such a response in family court, which can be edited as needed. It is attached to this answer.

What such an answer would do is provide a "general denial." This would throw the matter into trial mode (months down the line), but doing so would allow the parties to agree to the verbiage in the proposed decree. If it is only minor verbiage that is the issue, then likely this would be worked out fairly easily.

Note however that by not filing an answer, one can default meaning the other party would simply win by default of no response being filed. So the response is filed to ensure no default is granted, and then the parties negotiate.

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i just go to court house & sign agreement to remove my name on birth certificate and give ex girlfriend sole rights to child?What does general denial mean?Would i be required to pay any of her lawyer or court fees? I was the one who was lied to during all of pregnancy & 3 months after birth of child
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if this is what one wants. The mother and you would have to do this via a joint motion to the Court, however.

"General denial" means one simply is saying that they DENY all the allegations by Petitioner and are asking the Court to DENY the other party what they request.

If there is a trial and you lose, the other side can ask for attorney fees. At this point, it would at be the Judge's discretion.

It sounds like both parties want the same thing, so a smart choice may be to file a general denial (just as a back up) but then to negotiate the nuanced details, and then to enter a joint motion/decree to resolve the matter with the Court.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!