How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother is old but has been taken care of my Son who is

Customer Question

My Mother is old but has been taken care of my Son who is 24yrs old .in Maine Because my son has Autism they went into her home with out her saying they could she order them Out and he said give me your Grandson or call the Cops to help me with you she got Scared the guy Could hit her.I live in ky she was Coming out here now my son is in care what can we Do anything ?***-***-**** My Phone is all I have Please text me ..I think they Did this Because they keep me as A baby in Philly at time called them selfs Children Aid my mother lost her rights ..and now can recalle caseworkers Plus Being in homes that hurt me for 5yrs in hell now they Put my son their sexual abuse is not something no one should go though !!!they taken my kids for what I know ..had to get on the news to keep anyone of my kids got my two in ky son Paul is 24 with Autusm I'm not sure what will Become of him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

In order to keep your son in placement the agency will have to establish that he is incompetent and unable to manage his own affairs. They will need to do this with a doctor's report after an evaluation stating his functional capacity. If you have any past medical evaluations describing his mental health status and functional ability that would be extremely helpful in trying to keep him out of a placement. The standard for determining someone is in need of placement as an adult is a pretty high burden for the state. State will need to show that he is unable to purchase and make food, purchase clothing, take care of medical needs and the basic finances. If you could participate in the placement hearing and be able to testify that he is able to do these things your chances of keeping him out of placement are good. In addition, your son, as an adult, will be entitled to representation by an attorney at these proceedings. If your son has a minimal level of functioning he should be able to remain out of placement.

I hope this information and advice is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Related Family Law Questions