mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

My dad and mom were permanent residents of the US. They were

Customer Question

My dad and mom were permanent residents of the US. They were traveling to India on vacation and sadly, my father expired. We want to get my father's assets in the USA to my mom's name and where possible to the direct nominee on the asset. We have obtained death certificate from India. What are all the other documents needed get the assets transfered? What documents are needed in order to establish legal heirs?
We are taking care of transfering my dad's assets in India to my mom's name.
Please let us know. Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

If the asset you're seeking a transfer was jointly owned with a right of survivorship all you should need is the death certificate. If the asset is not owned with jointly with a right of survivorship you will need to open up an estate in the US in order to establish who has authority to handle your father's affairs. If there is a will, assets will be distributed in accordance therewith. If there is no will, assets will be distributed according to the intestate laws where your father last resided in the US.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. There is no will, but my parents were residing in Illinois. Can you please let me know how IL inheritence law works or point me to any document online?
Thanks!
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Sure. Type into Google search engine Illinois state intestate law of succession. This will give you a plethora of information on the topic