How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37007
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father appears to have the onset of alzheimer and is a

Customer Question

My father appears to have the onset of alzheimer and is a very proud and private person. He will not give me power of attorney so I can take care of his affairs because he does not feel anything is wrong with him. He did acknowledge that he had two uncles who had alzheimer and that it runs in his family. I do not live in the same state as my dad and his family members and his friends are calling me to get power of attorney because he is beginning to decline and they are concerned. In the state of Louisiana, how do I go before a judge and what do I need to do and provide to convince the judge to give me power of attorney.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


In a situation like this, you would have to file for a guardianship, not a POA, as that is a document that is given voluntarily. A judge won't order a forced POA. However, a guardianship can be forced if the petitioner files the guardianship case and then the proposed ward is evaluated by at least two doctors who come to the same conclusion that the ward is unable to manage their own affairs and needs to have a guardian appointed to manage their financial and care decisions.


This is something that you would need an experienced family law or elder law attorney to assist with, especially since I am assuming that father would fight it and object to the guardianship.





Related Family Law Questions