Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My father appears to have the onset of alzheimer and is a

Customer Question
very proud and private person...
My father appears to have the onset of alzheimer and is a very proud and private person. He will not give me power of attorney so I can take care of his affairs because he does not feel anything is wrong with him. He did acknowledge that he had two uncles who had alzheimer and that it runs in his family. I do not live in the same state as my dad and his family members and his friends are calling me to get power of attorney because he is beginning to decline and they are concerned. In the state of Louisiana, how do I go before a judge and what do I need to do and provide to convince the judge to give me power of attorney.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/7/2015
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

In a situation like this, you would have to file for a guardianship, not a POA, as that is a document that is given voluntarily. A judge won't order a forced POA. However, a guardianship can be forced if the petitioner files the guardianship case and then the proposed ward is evaluated by at least two doctors who come to the same conclusion that the ward is unable to manage their own affairs and needs to have a guardian appointed to manage their financial and care decisions.

.

This is something that you would need an experienced family law or elder law attorney to assist with, especially since I am assuming that father would fight it and object to the guardianship.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer