Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Im needing some assistance sister. Her and her boyfriend

Customer Question
Hi, im needing some assistance...
Hi, im needing some assistance for my sister. Her and her boyfriend split up and they have 3 kids. They have been together for 6 years and file taxes together. They live together, he works and she stays at home and watches the kids. He left her with nothing and moved out of the apartment and took everything from the apartment leaving the kids to eat and sleep on the floor? Is she entitled to anything and what steps do I need to go through to help her out?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/6/2015
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Your sister may be entitled to spousal support if she was in a common law marriage. That is, if she and her boyfriend presented themselves as being married and they were free to get married. That is, if they were not married to other people when they were together. If so, she would need to file for divorce and then request for spousal support. Click on the link below for divorce forms and instructions:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/SubCategory.cfm?Category=Divorce,

The children are entitled to child support. She can apply for child support services with Colorado child support enforcement so that the department can assist her in completing all necessary forms. Click on the link below for application information:

https://childsupport.state.co.us/siteuser/do/general/application/eAppforservices

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law