How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im needing some assistance sister. Her and her boyfriend

Customer Question

Hi, im needing some assistance for my sister. Her and her boyfriend split up and they have 3 kids. They have been together for 6 years and file taxes together. They live together, he works and she stays at home and watches the kids. He left her with nothing and moved out of the apartment and took everything from the apartment leaving the kids to eat and sleep on the floor? Is she entitled to anything and what steps do I need to go through to help her out?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Your sister may be entitled to spousal support if she was in a common law marriage. That is, if she and her boyfriend presented themselves as being married and they were free to get married. That is, if they were not married to other people when they were together. If so, she would need to file for divorce and then request for spousal support. Click on the link below for divorce forms and instructions:,

The children are entitled to child support. She can apply for child support services with Colorado child support enforcement so that the department can assist her in completing all necessary forms. Click on the link below for application information:

Related Family Law Questions