How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30162
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I already file divorce papers and we have agreed

Customer Question

My ex and I already file divorce papers and we have agreed on everything. I'm going to file form fl-141 with fl-144. Whats the next step to finalized the divorce?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Once you file the waiver of declarations, the next step is to file the Declaration for Default or Uncontested Dissolution, the Judgment form, and the Notice of Entry of Judgment. This site has links to all of the forms. If you have minor children or someone is asking for spousal support, there are additional forms that must be filed. You can find the list here, below the links to the judgment forms.

After all of that is filed, the next step is to wait until the judge enters the judgment. You'll get a copy of the divorce decree in the mail telling you when the divorce was entered and on what date it will be final.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I file all three forms together, and we do have children together but we already have an agreement on that.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can file all the forms together.

Even with an agreement, you'll have to fill out and file the forms that correspond with what you've agreed - so a Custody and Visitation Order, for example, and a Child Support Order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on form fl-170 since we have agreed on all terms should I checked Default with agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or uncontested since were going to file form fl-144
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

A default is for if the other party doesn't respond. If you have an agreement, then it's Uncontested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perfect. thank you. now on notice of entry judgment do I fill that form out or is it for the court clerk to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After all this is done do we have to file also the Marital Agreement???
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You fill out the judgment, too, except for the judge's signature. That way, he just has to sign and date it.

One of those forms should ask you to attach the marital agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Judgment is form fl-180? on this form do I need to fill out everything or is there certain ones that I need to answer?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You fill in exactly what you want the judge to order, but leave the signature blank at the end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect ok so I have fl-180 fl-170, and fl-190. and those are the last forms I need to file to finalize my divorce>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long after I submit do I have to wait in order to finalized
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Go through the list of forms on the link I originally provided to double check that you have everything.

When you get the judgment, it will contain the date on which the divorce will be finalized. The judge usually issues the judgment within a couple of weeks after the forms are all filed, but it depends in part on how busy they are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. I'll double check everything.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good luck.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On form fl-180 were it says child custody, we already have a notarized letter in regards ***** ***** custody, do I just take a copy to the court.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

There should be a box where you check that custody has already been decided, and then you can attach the letter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not asking for child support or spousal support do I just leave them blank or put N/A
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If you want step-by-step instructions on how to fill out the form, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask that you open a new question. That's beyond the scope of the original question on how to finalize a divorce.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,. Thank you
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Have a good weekend.