Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son has joint custody of s 7y/o daughter. He has not been

Customer Question
my son has joint custody...
my son has joint custody of his 7y/o daughter. He has not been allowed to see her for almost 4 yrs. He pays the court ordered child support every month. I am the paternal g'mother and neither I or my husband are allowed to see her because our son lives in a house on our property. Do we, as g'parents, have rights?
thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/5/2015
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In short, yes grandparents do have visitation rights in many circumstances and you can read about the law at the following link: http://la-legal.com/louisiana-grandparent-visitation/

The easiest framework to fit into is usually the standard set by Title 9 of the Civil Code Ancillaries, which allows grandparent visitation where the visitation would be in the best interest of the child/ren.

But, in order to enforce these rights, you'd have to petition your local family law court and ask the court to grant you the right to visitation with your granddaughter.

Roger, Attorney