Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My wife was in hospital without my knowledge i work away my

Customer Question

My wife was in hospital without my knowledge i work away my family health rang said she pulled out n went under her maiden name!! I asked but got told infection i think differently im her next of kin i should of been contacted is there a way i can get what she was in for???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, a person's medical records and personal health information are confidential. Thus, unless she has given a written authorization to release those records to someone, the medical provider and medical insurer cannot release that information to anyone else. If the provider or insurer does release the information, they can be liable for penalties up to $10,000 per violation plus jail time as well, so the government and medical providers/insurers take the law seriously.
If you want information, you need a written power of attorney or a written medical records release signed by your spouse in order to comply with the law.