How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37098
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm interested in a divorce. My spouse and I lived in North

Customer Question

I'm interested in a divorce. My spouse and I lived in North Carolina for 28 years. Three years ago I moved to Virginia, five years ago she moved to South Carolina that initiated our separation. Which state can I file for a divorce.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


You can file in either VA or SC since you are a resident of VA and she is a resident of SC. So it would be your choice as to where to file, but if you field in your state of VA, then that would fix the jurisdiction there and all court appearances would be held there. If you filed in her state, you would have to go there for any proceedings..




Related Family Law Questions