Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I'm interested in a divorce. My spouse and I lived in North

Customer Question

I'm interested in a divorce. My spouse and I lived in North Carolina for 28 years. Three years ago I moved to Virginia, five years ago she moved to South Carolina that initiated our separation. Which state can I file for a divorce.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

You can file in either VA or SC since you are a resident of VA and she is a resident of SC. So it would be your choice as to where to file, but if you field in your state of VA, then that would fix the jurisdiction there and all court appearances would be held there. If you filed in her state, you would have to go there for any proceedings..

.

thanks