How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I obtain a court order to get a copy of my original

Customer Question

How do I obtain a court order to get a copy of my original birth certificate. I am not adopted, but my father was unknown at my birth. My mother and her husband did make a change to the certificate, unbeknownst to me. I didn't find out about having another father until I was 35 (now 77) Just trying to put it all together, but North Dakota needs a court order. thank you in advance for your help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am not really following you. Is the original birth certificate sealed by a court order? Can you upload the letter you received so we may take a look at it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will send that over to you, as soon as i can get it uploaded. thank you, Maverick.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Sure... I am signing off for the night but will be back tomorrow....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O.K. I am ready. Will send tomorrow.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

FYI: I am back....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my letter?
I did add it as a file.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will add it again, just in case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still in today? Let me hear if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another thing. The letter refers to an adoption. I was not ever adopted. My mother did not list a father on the original, as far as I know. They are just assuming that there was an adoption involved. My mother may have added her husband's name when I was in my 20's, but no adoption. Thank you, Patty
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


They are refering to the section below which can be found under 23-02.1-18 (3). at this page.

"3. When a new birth record is established, the actual place and date of birth must be shown. The new birth record must be substituted for the original birth record: a. Thereafter, the original birth record and the evidence of adoption, paternity, or legitimation is not subject to inspection except upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction or as provided by rules and regulations."

You will need to file a petition with the court to unseal the record. Even adult adoptees are permitted to view this information under section 14-15-16 which is here.

It appears that you will need to file a declaratory judgment action where in you allege that you are now an adult and thus you are entitled to the original birth record and as for a court order that unseals that against the Department of Health .

See DJ law here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am still unclear as to whether I need an attorney to file these petitions or??
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

You do not need an attorney if you know how to do them; but most non attorneys do not have to experience to file one. Even many attorneys that do not specialize in adoption or family law would not be in a position to file one. So, yes, you will probably need a local family law attorney to assist you with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approximately what would the cost be for this service.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, do you think this is something that Legal Aid would be able to do for me?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

You are probably looking at $750-$1000.00.

Yes, legal aid might be able to help if you qualify for their services.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, you have given me the information I need (the sheets of law) to get closer to the answers. It is sort of wild to think that my ex-husband is one of the top lawyers in the country...although criminal defense...I am one of those stubborn mules that won't ask for his help...and my financial situation is probably 1% of his. But, life goes on and I am getting closer to my answers. I spent 35 years thinking my birth father was raising me. Then my mom told me who my "real" dad was...when I was 76 I had a DNA test and my birth father was yet another man. I don't think my mom knew that, she was 15 years old. It is actually a neat story, at least I think so. Maybe a book. Thank you very much, Patty Meshbesher
I will complete the rating. I did pay $19. Think it was a good value.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Patty....I was disappointed in myself as I felt I could not be of more help to you...