How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118632
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Regarding an Appeal I am making in regards to a Protection

Customer Question

Regarding an Appeal I am making in regards ***** ***** Protection From Abuse Order, the Judge from the Court of Common Pleas, just vacated my concise statement of matters complained on appeal and issued an order that I must file a statement of errors complained of on appeal within 21 days. I received a copy of the Judge's order that I file a statement of errors 9 days after he filed the statement of errors which leaves me only 12 days to complete the statement of errors and get it filed. Additionally, I have paid for, but not yet received a copy of the hearings transcript. My question is how can I request more time beyond the 21 days I currently have to file the statement of errors? Would I file a motion with the prothonotary at the county courthouse? Would I file a motion with the prothonotary with the appellate court? How do I make the request?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file a motion for an extension of time to file and in the motion you need to state that you did not receive the order in a timely manner to give you 21 days mandated by law and also that you need more time to obtain the transcript which is under the control of the court reporter and not within your control as to when they produce the information. Your motion needs to state why the transcript is necessary for you to submit your statement of errors to the court. You file it with the prothonotary at the court like any other motion. You file it with the lower court first and if they deny your motion you file it with the appeals court.