How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was served divorce papers and I know I need to respond in

Customer Question

I was served divorce papers and I know I need to respond in 30 days which would be 11/8. Our court date isn't until January 6th. Can I answer the papers myself by 11/8 and if I find an attorney before we go to court could I have an attorney change the answer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Yes. You can submit your Response/Answer in a timely fashion and if need be have it amended. The Rules allow a one time amendment.

You also may get the other party or their attorney to stipulate to a 15 day extension from the 30 day due date. You can call the attorney and make the request for the Stipulation.

Here is a LINK to such a SAMPLE Stipulation, albeit from another CA court. But if the attorney grants it, which they should out of courtesy, then you would need to draft it and have them sign it and file it with the court.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

OR you can locate a local attorney and have them contact the other party about the Stipulation to Extend.