Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How do I go about getting custody of one or both of my

Customer Question

How do I go about getting custody of one or both of my nephews? They were taken from my step-sister do to her drug use. They are both currently with one of the boys fathers and he would like to keep his son and for me to take the other whose father is also a drug addict and lives out of state. I am low income and have no idea where or how to start this process without spending money I do not have.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I am going to assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

At the time that the children were taken, your step-sister could have designated a person (typically a family member) to whom custody should be given. You would need to have your step-sister designate you as the custodial adult for the child.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not help at all. I am already aware that she could have done that, but seeing as that she has a drug problem she doesn't want to admit to, she believes she will get her kids back soon and she is unfit and in need of a lot of help. why am I unable to give a rating on this site? I want my money refunded...I should have known this was just a scam and I wouldn't get any real help

Stephanie, you have not paid me yet for answering the question and I can better explain the process to you.

Right now, the Department of Children and Family Services (DCF) is conducting an investigation into the matter. If they deem that there is sufficient reason to deprive the mother of custody of the children because they are in danger (which in this case it sounds like they will), then they will make more permanent arrangements for the custody of the children. This will typically happen at a hearing where you can attend and request custody of the children if your step-sister is unwilling to voluntarily give it to you.

If you have more questions about the process, just let me know and I will continue to answer it for you. We are not done until I have addressed your concerns.

Also, below is a link to the Illinois DFS to make sure you are calling the correct place.

https://www.illinois.gov/dcfs/aboutus/Pages/contactUs.aspx