How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé has a child support warrant in another state, can

Customer Question

my fiancé has a child support warrant in another state, can we geta marriage license in a different state
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Any U.S. citizen can get a marriage license in any state he or she wants. However, the license is only good in the state where you got it. You don't have to be a resident of the state where you get married. Some states have waiting periods, though, so if you're planning to travel to another state for the sole purpose of getting married, check to see what their requirements are. If you can tell me where you're thinking about getting married, I can see if they have any waiting period.

Also, most court clerks who issue marriage licenses aren't going to check child support warrants before issuing it. They usually just want to see if the paperwork is in order. But I can understand being nervous about going to the courthouse when there's a warrant against you.

You should also be aware that, if you get joint bank accounts after you get married, child support enforcement will be able to take money out of those accounts - even if you're the one who deposited it. They would not be able to take money you deposited into an account in your name only.

Related Family Law Questions