How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What documents can I file to stop cps from getting a shelter

Customer Question

What documents can I file to stop cps from getting a shelter cost approval and removing my child without anything other than hearsay
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

I am assuming there has not been a dependency hearing yet. CPS has no basis for a placement unless the child has been adjudicated delinquent at a delinquency hearing other than on a temporary basis. If you have not received this proceeding you need to file an objection to the placement and requested dependency hearing immediately. A public defender is generally appointed for parents involved in dependency proceedings if you cannot afford a private attorney. If you have family members who are in a position to house and supervise your child I would advise of those resources to your caseworker and his or her supervisor immediately in writing. You need to do this in writing so when you are before the judge you can prove that these resources were provided to CPS as an alternative to placement. If you have already had your depency hearing and the placement was ordered by the court you will have a much more difficult Road. You can still nonetheless object to the placement to CPS and can file for a hearing with the court specifically on that issue.