How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31787
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NY and my husband recently e mailed me that s is

Customer Question

I live in NY and my husband recently e mailed me that his is transgendered. I took my son to another state to live with my family while dealing with this news. I have not denied my husband access to his son and in fact he sees him every weekend. He has filed for full custody. We have been before a referee and she agrees with him. I had no right to take our son and I can't use the transgender issue because its discriminatory. He calls me an unfit parent even though I've been the primary caregiver for his entire 3 years of life. He is being taken away from me and given to this man. There is no regard for my 3 yr old. How he will handle seeing his dad become a woman. He will be stuck in daycare for 10 hours a day while his father works. I am at a complete loss. My ex has a lot of money ad his father is well connected in the legal world as he too is an attorney.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your main objective is to show that it is in the child's best interest to remain with you....and even if you don't use the transgender in regard to a reason for the child to stay with you can use it to say that it's not in your child's best interest to have to be put through that issue....which can be confusing and could make things harder than they already will be.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The court's main concern is the child's best interest and it would seem that placing the child in such a tumultuous situation would not be the best option.