Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My divorce agreement says I can take my son out of school

Customer Question
for one week each year...
My divorce agreement says I can take my son out of school for one week each year until he reaches fifth grade. He is now in third grade and a straight A student. My ex has now refused to approve my vacation. He says he's changed his position on taking my son out of school. Can he do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/31/2015
Family Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney

Angela,

It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is***** and I'm here to answer your question.

The short answer is no. Your ex cannot do this without going back to court and having the marriage settlement agreement changed. However, outside of the legal spectrum, he is probably just trying to be difficult because he does not think that you will spend the time or money to get him back into court over this issue.

Unfortunately, the only way this issue can be addressed is to get back in front of the judge and make your ex accountable for his breach of the marital settlement agreement.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney