How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a big problem. My ex husband is threatening to take

Customer Question

Hi I have a big problem. My ex husband is threatening to take me to court over a financial dispute in our divorce. We were divorces in 2009 and are just separating for good now. I have retrieved all documentation re the divorce. My financial statement is incorrect . It is Lao nit what I would have signed. It specifies a. Investment account worth of 50000 when it should have bee 500000. It specifies a rent income of 3470 when it. Should have been 34700.00 My ex is the attorney who negotiated the settlement for my financial investment account. And he had been depositing all my rent checks. He handled all the money. What do I do with tis in accuracy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would have to file a motion to amend the financial statement and attach a corrected version of the financial statement to your motion. In the motion you would explain to the court that there were errors in the financial statement submitted and had you seen those errors you would not have signed the statement and it was either altered after you signed or there was some human error. Attach a copy of a corrected financial statement and also say in the motion that your ex is the attorney who negotiated the settlement on the investment account and should also know the correct amounts.

The court will not punish you over any mistake and if you can prove it was altered by your ex after you signed, they can punish him for doing so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I do this immediately? And how best to show this... I would never have signed it and it is off by 450000.00 in the investment case How do
I ammend it and can't he reopen the divorce using this? And try to get money from me as well as make me look like a liar?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You have to file a motion and explain why there was an error and ask the court to amend the form. Yes, he could move to reopen as well, since the error could change the property distribution. You need to show in your motion with your documents in your possession how this was in error and why the error occurred (or perhaps he changed it after you submitted it).