How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorce in 95 in mass I live in florida 20 yrs. now. I

Customer Question

I was divorce in 95 in mass I live in florida 20 yrs. now. I called the court house for a the name change paper out of my divorce decree. it seems they do not have the divorce decree. only pre trial. therefore no record of name change. I have misplaced this file forever. and the atty. has disposed after 10 yrs.
I must show dmv in florida how I got the name Courtney on my marriage liciense to my new husband 15 yrs ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

It appears the files have been moved and stored in another location other than the court house. The Massachusetts Court and Judicial Archives, located in the same building as the Massachusetts Archives in Boston, has some docket books which index divorces for Hampshire, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth and Worcester counties. However, most of the divorce files themselves are either still located at the county Superior Court in which they were filed or the records are held in offsite storage facilities. It can take weeks to get some of these files.

And so, the court clerk should be able to tell you how to make the written request for a copy of your divorce file.

I also suggest you can contact Judicial Archivist for the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Archives, Elizabeth Bouvier. She can be reached at(###) ###-####or by email at: *****@******.***

The files cannot simply be destroyed. So they are somewhere, even if on a micro chip for them to be downloaded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is Essex county would it make a difference?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


No. Any file documents that are not in the court house in any county are on micro chips and archived. I suggest you contact the Archivist and see what the procedure and cost is to get any or all of the documents in your file.

Related Family Law Questions