How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife said she is going to talk to a lawyer. Kept my

Customer Question

My wife said she is going to talk to a lawyer. Kept my daughter here with me. Don't know what actions I should take.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney licensed in Tennessee. Thanks for your post. I'll be glad to assist.

First, if your wife is going to a lawyer to file for divorce, you're probably better off if you can see an attorney and file FIRST for several reasons.....the main one being so you can ask the court for a emergency temporary custody order giving you custody of your daughter (if she files first, she'll probably try to do the same thing).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, being the filing party gives you a few procedural advantages.....and this doesn't catch you by surprise if you're the one filing.