How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19111
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter's mother wants to take her out of state to

Customer Question

my daughter's mother wants to take her out of state to visit family. We are not nor have been married. We have a verbal agreement to split cost and time on a 50/50 basis. I am willing to pay for them both to go see my daughter's grand parents in Illinois
but am fearful the mother will attempt to stay and not return with my daughter. So I have asked her to, at a minimum sign a document stating she will return and have it notorized. But not sure that holds any legal power if she doesn't return as promised. Very
concerned and am unwilling to commit to funding the trip only to be tricked. The mother has a track record of not following our verbal agreements. WE are currently working on a WA state legal custody plan but it will not be complete by the Christmas. thank
you Matt Hanson
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Matt:

Regrettably, the document that you are trying to prepare and notarize is not legally enforceable. She would not be in legal trouble if she does not return with your children because the document is not approved by the Court.

Related Family Law Questions