Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My daughter's mother wants to take her out of WA State to

Customer Question
my daughter's mother wants...
my daughter's mother wants to take her out of WA State to visit family back east Illinois and I want to make sure she comes back and does not try to keep my daughter there. We are not married and split custody w/o court order.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/29/2015
Family Lawyer: mmdesq, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

You absolutely should not allow your daughter to leave the state without a custody order in place. If mother leaves with child for Illinois and chooses not to come back it will be three times as expensive try to get her back from Illinois and you will likely have to hire an attorney both in Washington and Illinois to deal with this matter. If she wants to leave the state you need to get this done beforehand otherwise you are opening yourself up to a substantial risk.

Ely, Counselor at Law