How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11774
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter's mother wants to take her out of WA State to

Customer Question

my daughter's mother wants to take her out of WA State to visit family back east Illinois and I want to make sure she comes back and does not try to keep my daughter there. We are not married and split custody w/o court order.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

You absolutely should not allow your daughter to leave the state without a custody order in place. If mother leaves with child for Illinois and chooses not to come back it will be three times as expensive try to get her back from Illinois and you will likely have to hire an attorney both in Washington and Illinois to deal with this matter. If she wants to leave the state you need to get this done beforehand otherwise you are opening yourself up to a substantial risk.

Related Family Law Questions