How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34506
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two grandchildren whose parents were not married.

Customer Question

I have two grandchildren whose parents were not married. They split two years ago, but I've been in their lives since they were born. They love staying with me and I love having them, when she'd allow it. Now that she has a new man, she does not want either me or my son to have contact with them. I've been trying to talk with my grandchildren for the last two weeks and she will not answer my calls or respond to my text. She won't tell me why she has suddenly cut me off. Today, she did text me and told me she would file harassment charges on me if I don't stop calling. Can she do that? Do I have any rights to combat this? What can I do?
Sincerely, ***** Perrysburg, Ohio
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am truly sorry for this dilemma. If you do not have a court order granting you visitation, then you have no right to demand it. So to answer the question "can she do that" the answer is yes...she can.

That said, if the goal is visitation with the grandchildren, there is a path that can lead you to court ordered visitation.

Ohio law provides for "grandparents rights". Under Ohio law, a Court can award Visitation Rights to a Grandparent during or after a domestic relations proceeding if, the Grandparent has an interest in the welfare of the grandchild, and if Visitation is in the grandchild's “best interests”

You will need to file a motion with the court...and for this you will need to use a local attorney.
If you can show that it would be in the best interest of the children to continue visitation with you? The court will order it

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.