How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married in 2007 and we parted ways a couple weeks later.

Customer Question

I married in 2007 and we parted ways a couple weeks later. We did not divorce. I married and divorced 2 times since then. Now I want to file for divorce against my husband I married in 2007. He says he is going to contact the nc DA and have me prosecuted. What is my exposure?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

Bigamy is a felony in North Carolina punishable by up to 12 months in prison. It is rarely prosecuted except in cases where the person did it willingly. Since you were married twice after your first marriage and knew that you were still married when you committed the crime, yours may be a prosecutable case. I would certainly consult a local defense attorney who may know how the District Attorney operates to find out if it's something they think you will be prosecuted for.

I'm sorry for your predicament and I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.