How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have one child with Special Needs that I was informed I can

Customer Question

Have one child with Special Needs that I was informed I can ask the child study team to reach out to district of residence to obtain permission from that district to allow him to remain in the current school district because moving him could be very traumatic (autistic), however, is there anyway the child's sibling could also remain in the district even though he is not a special needs child??? Last thing I would want is to separate them.
Currently, I own the rental property in the district I wish to have the children remain, and pay property taxes on this rental as well as the residence home, which is one town over. My goal is to see what options, what can be done to maintain both children in the same district. (Rental property Location) They always went to this school; the issue arose because recently it became necessary to move because of a divorce. On parent was living in the rental property, but has quite recently moved across the country.
What can be done to keep them together???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

This isn't going to be a legal issue as much as it is a district policy issue. If you found that their policy states you can obtain permission from the district to allow the child to remain based on extenuating circumstances, it is possible that they also may let the sibling stay (I'm not sure why they would want to separate them). This will be a question about their policy and the only people who can answer that are the people in charge of the District. I suggest speaking to someone in charge about the sibling staying as well, and if you can't get anyone, write a letter to them explaining the situation and asking for a special accommodation. You catch more flies with honey!

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.