How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3459
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has gotten herself into a lot trouble with the

Customer Question

My daughter has gotten herself into a lot trouble with the law. I'm sure she'll be going to jail shortly. She has 2 children that have lived with me since birth. Would like to take legal custody of them before something happens with her. She has agreed to this. Problem is 2 different fathers. Neither is on birth certificates. But both have been ordered to do child support. Which they don't do. How do I do this without problems? I'm in Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. Unfortunately, you probably can't take care of this "without problems". Because there are two legal fathers in the picture, each of them will have to be notified and agree to you adopting the children. To get out of child support, they may elect to do that, but they also may not, in which case you probably wouldn't be able to take legal custody of the children. My suggestion would be to get the information on both father's and contact them to see if they would agree and then go from there. You will need an attorney familiar with adoption to move forward with that.

I hope this helps!

If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.