How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118780
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 55 years old my step father adopted me when I was around

Customer Question

I'm 55 years old my step father adopted me when I was around 6. My birth certificate has my biological last name. I'm trying to get a passport but nobody has info on me being adopted. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to contact the Clerk's Office of the Courthouse where the adoption took place to unseal the adoption records and provide you with the information that you need. If there is no record of the adoption, then the adoption did not take place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to get passport no adoption took place. That was my question how will I get passport. Name on ss card and birth certificate are not the same
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.


Unfortunately, while the answer here is not overly complex, it is not something some people may want to hear. You can correct this situation. First off, if you cannot find any records of the adoption, this is an issue as far as the adoption itself is concerned and if your step father is deceased, without proof of the adoption you cannot claim there was a legal adoption through the court without bringing in first hand witnesses to the adoption in court. However, the good thing is this does not really matter in correcting your passport issue.

In order to correct the passport issue though, it is going to take a court ordered name change, which you can accomplish by filing a Petition for Name Change with your local court. You can change your name to the same name your SS and Drivers license and other documents are in and you can get the court to issue the name change order to vital records to change your birth certificate to match those other documents and once you have done so (takes 30-60 days depending on how busy the court is at the time) you can then obtain a passport and also a Real ID license without any issues at all.