How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the custodial parent 15 month old daughter. Her father

Customer Question

I am the custodial parent for my 15 month old daughter. Her father and I were not married. We move to Idaho to be closer to my family when she was three months old. He signed a paper saying he was fine with that. I have not heard from him in almost a year. I would like to file for sole legal custody he of my daughter. Is that in my best interest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

It depends. I mean only you know if he will oppose or challenge it. It is possible if you file he will decide he wants to see his daughter. In that case, he can request shared custody or visitations. Now, that does not mean it would be granted. But it could. Generally, the courts like to keep the child connected to both parents.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

If a court were going to allow the visits, you can request they be supervised until your daughter gets acclimated to her Father.