How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1423
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been receiving harassing emails from my ex-husband:

Customer Question

hi there. I've been receiving harassing emails from my ex-husband: basically threatening to call the police (for custody issues, but his mother, the caregiver is disabled and refusing to answer the door and release the children) Basically....the harasseent is name calling, verbal attacks toward me in the presence of our children. I have saved a voicemail and e-mails from previous conversations
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m Ronna, a licensed attorney with 35 years’ experience. I specialize in family law, landlord-tenant and appeals. I look forward to helping you today.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

From what you have listed here, it appears there is a custody order already in place?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

You can ask for an order of protection in the family court, but you might not necessarily get one, depending on what is in the emails. What you can do is ask for a modification of the visitation -- you're allowed to ask for modification of visitation in GA once in a two year period w/out showing change in circumstances warranting new visitation order or parenting plan. However, you have good reason to modify the parenting plan or visitation which you can do any time. The courts will not want your ex to attack you in the presence of the children. This is horrible for their well-being. You will want to make copies of the emails and voicemail and present them to the court. You will want to modify the parenting plan because perhaps he should have supervised visitation and you'll have to explain to the court why. The "why" is based on his terribly scary and dangerous behavior in the presence of the children and his threats towards you, which the kids definitely hear. Your best bet will be to get a family laywer who can do this modification for you. Do you have a family lawyer from the last time? When was the parenting plan put into place --how recent is this? You may also be able to get an order of protection but your best bet is to have a family lawyer do this for you.

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. I hope I have provided you with excellent service. If you still have some questions and need anything else addressed, I'll be happy to do so. Just send a follow-up question here.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you!

Related Family Law Questions