How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and haven't had sex going on 3 months now and i have

Customer Question

My wife and haven't had sex going on 3 months now and i have made attempt after attempt to have sex with her but she hasnt done anything is that grounds for divorce in sc
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few more minutes please.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The statute lists 4 grounds for divorce for a for fault divorce: - these are the first 4 subsections of the below statute:

SECTION 20-3-10. Grounds for divorce.

No divorce from the bonds of matrimony shall be granted except upon one or more of the following grounds, to wit:

(1) adultery;

(2) desertion for a period of one year;

(3) physical cruelty;

(4) habitual drunkenness; provided, that this ground shall be construed to include habitual drunkenness caused by the use of any narcotic drug; or

(5) on the application of either party if and when the husband and wife have lived separate and apart without cohabitation for a period of one year. A plea of res judicata or of recrimination with respect to any other provision of this section shall not be a bar to either party obtaining a divorce on this ground.

As you can see, lack of intimacy is not a factor; however, SC also has a no fault divorce. - that is subsec 5 above, and requires one year physical separation; this is how the majority of cases are filed.

statute available here:

More information here from the state bar:

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.