How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have only recently located the father of my grown son. He

Customer Question

I have only recently located the father of my grown son. He has decided that it would not be good for his family to know anything about him. Our son is now 41 but he is ill and he has looked for his father and does not know I found him because I know it would really hurt him to know the attitude and reaction of my conversation with him. He is an educated man and has a wife and kids and apparently he kept his son a secret. His father does not see any point or anything good that could come out of meeting him after all these years. I explained to him how our son had a daughter who died tragically ...his "granddaughter" that this is his son and he was acting like he was a disease to keep hidden. I know the time limits have run out but I also have heard of times where back support and interests was awarded. I do not think it is fair for any man to get a "free ride" on his flesh and blood. I worked on modifying the laws on the maintenance and installation of septic tank systems. Rick Perry signed it in 2011. I went through the process finding Senators and Reps to sponsor the bill all the way through. I also had media support. I would like to find someone who would be willing to help me with this. Where do I start. His family blocked my number. I have his address and I could call from a different number to call. I am looking for options.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If there was a child support claim made, then under Texas law there is no statute of limitations to collect arrears. You would have 4 years from date of the birth to file a claim against the father for paternity and support, but if the father could not be located that time could have been tolled. So if you only recently found him and did not know where he was since the birth of the child, it is possible you could seek to get child support awarded for the time he was hidden and avoiding support. These cases are not easy cases to win and would depend on your reasonable efforts to try to locate him prior to your recent discovery of his location.

Related Family Law Questions