How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102363
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have 5 children and live in Texas. He has talked

Customer Question

My ex and I have 5 children and live in Texas. He has talked one of my triplets into moving in with him. He makes substantially more money than me and says I will now have to pay him for child support. Is this correct. I understand my support will go down from 40% to 35% but will I be ordered to pay support too?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The child support that is being paid by him to you - is it voluntary and informal, OR, is it Court-ordered?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Court-ordered...I just signed temporary orders from his attorney for her to stay there. I do not have an attorney yet.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Yes, then. What would happen is that his child support amount to you would be LESSENED. It is not that you would be forced to pay child support too, since both of you are sharing the children that belong to both of you. Instead, he would be given credit for child support you would have been paying him, and that would be applied towards the amount he continue to pay you.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!