How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What legal course do I have in to sue my wife's lover?

Customer Question

What legal course do I have in Virginia to sue my wife's lover?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unfortunately, Virginia does not recognize any longer such a tort as Alienation of Affection.

There would be no legal recourse to sue the lover under VA law.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Here is a LINK for the pertinent case law out of VA

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

In that case, the Supreme Court of Virginia held that the statute prohibiting alienation of affection lawsuits also bars lawsuits against third parties for the intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you