How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10288
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband's child support, amount court order by family

Customer Question

my ex-husband's child support, amount court order by family court, which is deducted from his pay check was short, i should get $1,000.00 and only recieved $715.50 i called his employer they won't give me a reason why and i called the family court they said i have to file a petition, i will, my question is; how do i find why his was short, i realize that it was because he didn't work, but i want to get proof that he went payless, how do i do that, and he said he received money, my question; even if he went payless shouldn't if have gotten all of his check then whatever is left he gets.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience; a few minutes more please.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

There are limits on how much of one's paycheck can be garnished (deducted from pay); so if one's income is lower due to less hours that pay period, there can be a cap on the amount that can be taken. Up to 50% of one's disposable earnings may be garnished to pay child support if the obligor is currently supporting a spouse or a child who isn't the subject of the order. If one isn't supporting a spouse or child, up to 60% of their earnings may be taken.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The amount delinquent becomes past due, and can be collected by other means such as income tax refund interception, liens, etc. This agency will help collect on child support for free/low fees (typically no more than $25 a year):

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

This explains the services provided by the child support unit, along with enforcement options.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any questions on the above? If so please post here and I will reply. Otherwise, kindly rate positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.


ere is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how I get the reason he went Payless such as if he was suspended he has visitation rights that he violates and I an concern when they go with him. I have spoken to cps they said I don't have grounds to file complaints
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

CPS does not determine any modification issues regarding court ordered custody/visitation- rather the judge is the arbiter and makes the decision as to what is in the best interests of the child.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I hope you have found the information I provided useful. If so kindly rate positively- it does not cost anything more, but helps me greatly. thank you!