How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19483
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriends parents verbally and emotionally abuse her.

Customer Question

My girlfriends parents verbally and emotionally abuse her. She is constantly belittled and threatened. Her father has repeatedly threatened my well being and life. She wants to move in with her grandmother. My girlfriend is almost 17. What can she do to
get out of the abusive home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

She needs to have her grandmother speak with her parents about letting her come and stay with her. If her parents are uncooperative, then her grandmother can file for custody. Since she is 17, the grandmother can ask the Court to speak with her and ask her about her living situation and whether she really wants to move out.

The Custody complaint will be filed at the Circuit Court in the County where the teenager resides. The forms for filling for custody can be obtained at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.