How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11814
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My case is in Maryland. I am divorced and have joint legal

Customer Question

My case is in Maryland. I am divorced and have joint legal and physical custody of our two daughters ages 7 & 9. I want to take them to a non-denominational church. My ex-husband states that because it says in our Marital Separation Agreement that we have to mutually agree on religion that I can't take them. Neither one of us is Catholic, yet we enrolled the girls in a Catholic private school. They are members of a Methodist Church that is 5 miles from his residence yet 45 miles from mine. He says that I can only take them to that particular methodist church. My ex husband, states that taking them to the non denominational church would have conflicting doctrine and confuse the children. My argument is that it wouldn't because it strictly teaches from the Holy Bible; the same Bible both the Catholics and Methodists use. I received a letter from his attorney stating that if I took them without my ex's consent that they would take me to court and I would be responsible for all of his legal fees. I can not afford an attorney and have been denied by legal aid. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

He cites the MSA, although it is the decree that really controls the situation. Normally the decree mirrors the MSA in its verbiage, as it is based on the MSA.

May I assume that the decree says the same thing about religion that the MSA does?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Related Family Law Questions