How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm presently paying child support and planning to retire in

Customer Question

I'm presently paying child support and planning to retire in 6 years, Question If I have not completed paying my child support when I retire, can child support garnish my social security benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Unfortunately, yes, they can. While Social Security cannot be garnished for most debts, child support is the primary exception. Social security can also be garnished for unpaid alimony, federal student loans, or back taxes. A child support obligation also cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and does not expire. The debt is valid until it's paid.
I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Good luck.

Related Family Law Questions