How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9329
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is most likely going to be incarcerated this

Customer Question

My daughter is most likely going to be incarcerated this week. Her and her boyfriend have a four month old baby. The father is not fit to take of the baby. He is an addict. Who will get custody of this baby?? My daughter wants me to take him. Will he automatically go to me. The grandmother?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Which State is this in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There is a generic form for this posted at

There is a much more comprehensive California form posted at

which would probably be acceptable in Connecticut with minor changes. This form has the advantage of specifically allowing you to get Medicaid on behalf of the child, if necessary. (They call Medicaid "MediCal" in California.)

The U.S. State Department has posted a form at

I am sorry I have been unable to find a similar form used in Connecticut.

The California form is adaptable to be used in any State.

Since they are not married, the mother is the sole legal guardian and custodian, and she can sign an appropriate paper giving you temporary custody. Many travel agents will have a suitable form.

You can get a free consultation from some of the family law attorneys listed by location here.

You should not have to go to court to become the temporary guardian, although you can get a court order appointing you as guardian if you want to waste money. You can save money by having a local attorney draft a suitable form, or you can modify the California form and have it reviewed by a local attorney if you wish.

I hope this information is helpful.

Related Family Law Questions