How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask mmdesq Your Own Question
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 518
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
mmdesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not filed yet. I have an appointment this week to get

Customer Question

I have not filed for divorce yet. I have an appointment this week to get this over with. I was praying that he would stop drinking, but that is not going to happen.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a response to a ? From another attorney, we're did he go?
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Good Afternoon,

I m not sure what your exact question is but I assume that you need to prepare for your divorce meeting.

I would advise that if you have previously sought to address the drinking issue to no avail then your choices are either to proceed with the divorce or accept a bad situation of dealing with an alcoholic.

When meeting with your divorce lawyer you should be prepared to tell him or her the date of the marriage and the date of separation, assets acquired during the marriage, as well as the debts associated with them and information regarding purchase price and current valuation. If you are still in the same house together I would recommend making copies of all tax and financial information including 401k and pay stubs while you still have access to this information. It is far cheaper than trying to obtain it through the discovery process in court. I would also recommend trying to document his drinking. You can do this with receipts of alcohol or by taking photographs of trash bins / recycling bins showing the amount of empty bottles consumed over a specific period of time. If you have minor children this might be an issue that will be helpful for custody.

I hope this information is helpful to make your meeting with the divorce attorney more productive. If you have a more specific question please ask and I will try to answer it