How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouses cashed s retirement fund in 2013 while being

Customer Question

Hello, my spouses cashed his retirement fund in 2013 while being separated without my knowledge but unfortunately we filled together that year, he did not reported the amount. Now the IRS is after both of us. We are divorce now. Pls what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn about this situation. The IRS does provide "innocent spouse relief" (see:, but I highly recommend that you retain a local attorney to assist you with this matter (appearing and defending yourself in tax court is not as daunting as most general civil cases, but it is quite important to do so aggressively from the beginning). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).