How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 16 1/2 year old granddaughter who wanted to be

Customer Question

I have a 16 1/2 year old granddaughter who wanted to be emancipated and live with me. I am able to take care of her and provide for her. We live in Tn. Where do we start?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is your 16 year old granddaughter able to support herself and live on her own without financial help / support from anyone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she is in high school. I will support her. Isn't she old enough now to decide if she wants to live with me ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will not need government financial assistance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the only way a minor child can legally emancipate at the age of 16, if the minor child can fully support herself and afford her own housing and all other living expenses without any outside help from anyone or the child gets legally married with parental permission.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Related Family Law Questions