How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28002
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 13 year old great-granddaughter that does not want

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old great-granddaughter that does not want to live with her mother any more. The mother has not physically abused her - however, the mental abuse has gotten too much for the child to deal with. Most of it is not toward the child - but with her mother's temper, foul mouth, and the over all situation at home - (quite a history) the child is being affected very much. I try to stay out of the middle of the situation - but my great-granddaughter has asked me several times if she could come live with me. Not because I would spoil her or make things easier, but she is exhausted with the situation at home. I am so torn with what to do. I do not talk to my granddaughter too much about this because I know that if she would get upset with me about this, she will refuse to allow me to see both my great-grandchildren. The family is in SC. Thank you for any advise you can give.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. For the child to be removed from the home, absent the consent of the mother, a court order will be needed. If there is no physical abuse and the child is not in danger, then child services will not likely get involved, though you can contact them and ask for them to perform a wellness check, to make sure everything is alright. Outside of that, you would need to file a motion with the court, asking the Jude to remove the child from the home and place her in your care. The burden would be on you, as the moving party, to show it is in the best interest of the child for this to happen. It will be very hard and if you pursue these avenues, I am inclinedto believe she will ignore you and not allow you to see the children.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!