How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed separation in June of 2010, then immediately amended

Customer Question

I filed for legal separation in June of 2010, then immediately amended it to a divorce status in July 2010. There were some errors in the papers, I had them fixed by a paralegal. She fixed most of the errors, time went by nothing was heard from the court.
Then a new sent of errors emerged. Finally we got down to the crux of the errors and they were fatal errors and my wife's residency was questioned because she moved to Nevada back in 2008. The legal separation date is 2008 by the way. The divorce is in limbo
essentially, I have asked her to file for a Nevada divorce so we can get this over. We have no children and no assets from the marriage, I filed for Bankruptcy in 2010 and the house was given back to the lender. I want this over and she is not cooperating.
If I have to reserve her and start over I want legal fees, sanctions and payment for back taxes I paid. Ant advice would be great
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 2 years ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

If wife is resisting fine for divorce I don't know that it's a good idea to expect her to cooperate in filong for the same in Nevada.

I would recommend for the divorce in California where you can ensure everything is done. You can then request your attorneys fees and appropriate sanctions. I do not recommend utilizing a paralegal for the exact reasons you have experienced.